Thursday, June 21, 2012

It Rained On My Parade

There's no such thing as a well-planned getaway if Mother Nature states her say on the matter. 

The whole Anawangin trip was a highly anticipated highlight of the summer. On the 2nd of June 2012, me and three of my friends, made our way out of the city only to experience prolly one of the most memorable trips we've ever had.

The Tributes [Photo By: Criz Tan]  
At this point, I would like to refer to us (a group of four) as The Tributes.

Lesson 1: Having an incredibly late trip-mate has its perks

One of my fellow Tributes came late, 'nuff said (see: Khreanne Manez). Sure, it caused early freak out gestures and early blood boiling incidents but it was our ticket to ending up riding with our icredibly cool tour guides.

It saved us from being forced inside a packed van hence, our ride was smooth and fun. Not to mention the weird playlist all ride long.

One of the above people is the late Tribute [Photo By: Criz Tan]
Lesson 2: Like Adele's ex, the sun can change it's mind, too
 
On the way to Zambales, sure the sun was promising. It was so promising, I could marry it right away. But yeah, soon as Adele started hitting with Someone Like You, the weather changed and our lives were never the same since then.

Lesson 3: Rain is not the enemy, the sea waves are

I am pertaining to the boat ride to Anawangin. All I can remember is my stomach performing an encore of Somersaults: The Musical.

The waves were dangerously... high, like hey-bitch-pray-for-your-soul-already level of high. Still, my love for nature won out. I belted out Florence and the Machine's Shake It Out as I appreciated the islands we passed by and no, not a single fuck was given that day.

Lesson 3: When it rains, so be it 

Yes, when it rains, it pours but really? When you're a busy person allowed to have a break out of the city, there's nothing else you can do with rain but make the most out of it.

We did.

Sure, the endless rain somehow frustrated my fellow Tributes and also me at some point. But it doesn't mean we cannot have fun while cursing the rain in the process.

So, despite the rainy thing going on, we attacked the sea! Like, we literally fought the huge waves approaching us as if we were the Pinoy version of Ninja Turtles.

Excuse me as I smile at this because who would have thought that swimming in the ocean while it was raining so hard could be so much fun?

I mean, some would have spent their day with long faces because the vacation was practically ruined but there we are... fighting the waves like our lives depended on it.

It was the most fun I've had in a while and honestly, playing in the rain like that could easily take your mind off things.

And so with this experience, we felt as though we are in a real-life Catching Fire scene (yes, from the book!). All the rain and the camping experience, man, that was tough. Call me crazy but after that, I was ready to hang a sign: I was reborn, bitches. Deal with it. Believe me, hell, it was challenging.

Lesson 4: Never, ever, let the broken hearted mix the drinks (Lesson 4.1: Boracay Rhum is a heartless, insensitive bitch) 

Three shots of the Rachel Makayan Mix were all it took for Criz Tan to raise her hands and say, "I surrender."

Kidding.

She didn't raise her hands and all but she did hit the tent grounds after three shots.

Blame it on the Rachel Makayan Mix - we shall put that mix to rest.

One of the above people is the pioneer of THE RACHEL MAKAYAN MIX; and one is the LIGHTWEIGHT
Lesson 5: Friends are absolutely a must-bring in getaways 

I mean, it was dark and our only source of light was a flashlight we borrowed from a fellow cast away (applause to the Tom Hanks reference!!!) but when things got a little serious and when things got a little teary, it's nice to have friends who know how to listen.

It's in moments like that that I am thankful for being a person who's emotionally capable of vulnerability and being surrounded by people who are equally capable as well.

Matters of the heart. Matters of the heart.

As for the gory details, that should be kept secret.

What happens in Anawangin, stays in Anawangin.

Lesson 6: A swarm of frogs could give the cast of Glee a run for its money 

SERIOUSLY!!!

Forgive me as I freak out once again. I'm a girl who grew up in the city. I didn't know frogs could make noises like that!!!

While we were practically drowning our livers, the sound of nature served as our music and yeah, the sound of nature includes the Frog Chorus. It's crazy!!!

Are they really frogs, you ask me?

I ask myself the same thing.

Lesson 7: It's Always Darkest Before the dawn 

True enough, after we have retreated from our liver-burning-through-alcohol session, the bitch also known as the typhoon came attacking again.

It was scary and at the same time funny because sleeping inside a tent that was shaking madly could make you forget things.

I was lying on my back and watched as the roof of our tent shook madly because of the wind.

Try sleeping with a broken heart - that's how it felt like: it's impossible! (Applause to the Alicia Keys reference!!!)

Lesson 8: The Sun Will Rise 

Of course it will.

That's where we got to take pictures and all, walk around the island and enjoy some sort of an Earth benefit called the sun.

It was short-lived but hey, it was still fun. I had more fun with all the rain, though.

Ironic.


Lesson 9: Do not underestimate the force that sunk Titanic 

On the way back to Zambales, the waves were life-threatening. Like, seriously, my stomach performed a suspense-thriller version of Somersaults: The Musical.

The ride was fun, though. Except for the occasional screamo moments when the boat suddenly rocks hard, threatening to throw you off balance and have you eaten by the sharks under the sea.

Nah. There aren't sharks within the Philippine seas, at least that's what I believed growing up. But really, watching Jaws taught me not to trust the ocean.

Sorry for the rambling but yeah, the boat ride back to Zambales was quite fun because we got to see the lovely islands. Said ride was a little traumatic, too, hence, no boat rides for me for the next three months. Hah. Bitch, please.

Lesson 10: Getaways are always, ALWAYS about the company...

No matter where, no matter what

I feel as though I have enjoyed this trip more than I should. Given all that transpired within that span of time, others would have easily said it was a good-for-nothing vacation but not me.

I dunno, I actually look forward to more road trips with my fellow tributes. It's awesome to have people with whom you can have fun no matter what.

And one thing about not getting everything you expected to get, it teaches you a lesson - a lesson you might have not learned otherwise.

Seriously, when you go through a situation like that, you learn a lot about yourself.

A trip-gone-wrong is actually a test of character, so to speak. It's a test of temper and a challenge to one's optimism. I'm glad I was able to use both my sanity and optimism right there. And please, bitch, a trip-gone-wrong is a like a real-life Fear Factor (see: me, battling a gigantic chicken in Zambales).

Being a cast away in an island with the rain on zero-visibility mode is a situation that can drive you mad but with good company, cool drinks, awesome food, and everything to talk about... a vacation like that is always a blast.



On a side note:

I actually learned that blasting boyband music while on a smooth car ride back to the city is an awesome thing to do. I made a mental note to make a playlist next time we hit the road.

Aaaaand! I also learned that Aegis music is a cool company as well. *Shrugs* Who would've thought?

1 comments:

Criz said...

Very well written. Hell, did I surrender. But I recovered like A, "I'm back, bitches."

Rhum + Coke mix is better. :)

Teka, nasaan na yung manok? Hindi siya part ng post na to? :))

Post a Comment

Lora Gene Tumulak | Gone in Wanderland. Powered by Blogger.