Saturday, February 25, 2012

You, too, can become great

Mark Twain once said, "Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great."

We all have people in our lives that will tell us that what we love doing is pointless. Some will tell you that choosing music is impractical, some might say that acting is not a bankable career.

There are those people that will tell you that you're not good enough to make it. They'll ask you, "What's the point of going for it if the possibility of succeeding is low?" They will tell you to stop imagining and will advise you to settle onto something that you can be great at, even if you don't like it; even if it makes you unhappy.

I remember a Taylor Swift song saying, "Wondering why we bother with love it never lasts". It's almost synonymous to that. They're probably right. Why should we bother with something if we're uncertain about our future with it.

They probably have a point but THEY shouldn't stop you. NO ONE should ever stop you from doing what makes you happy.

Remember to always surround yourself with people who support you. Don't listen to people who try to put down what you love doing because it will make you doubt yourself and your abilities. Be with people who believe in you and your dreams. Be with people who, at the end of the day, will remind you of who you are and why should keep going.

Once, someone told me that I should stop singing; although I only sing for fun. For a while I stopped because that person is probably right. I may not make it like Whitney Houston (LOL, really) or Lea Michele, or even Bea Alonzo (who is TERRIBLY MUSICALLY CHALLENGED, yet has an album) but I love singing, putting my heart out in a song... and spreading my arms to my sides as if I am talking to an audience. When I hear myself, I hear love reverberate from my throat and it makes me feel alive.

I began singing again, in the shower, in my room when I am preparing for work and I realized that it makes up who I am. My talent, my skills... it defines who I am; it's my identity and without it - even if it is not good enough for everyone else - I will be nothing.

By not doing what I love, I stop myself from being happy and NO ONE deserves that.

No one deserves that. Even Bea Alonzo deserves to wear the Darna costumes if she wants to. *evil grin
x

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Lora Gene Tumulak | Gone in Wanderland. Powered by Blogger.